Thursday, June 30, 2011

WORKING!

Now that Middi is 12 months old and reasonably well behaved, it is time to start trying to push the boundaries.
When I got him , my aim was to train him as an Assistance dog, using Chris from Baybark as our trainer.
The first hurdle to get over is to pass the --

ASSISTANCE DOG PUBLIC ACCESS CERTIFICATION TEST.
On the front page it states --
"The Test is to ensure that dogs who have public access are stable, well-behaved, and unobtrusive to the public. It is to ensure that the client has control over the dog and the team is not a public hazard".
Sounds very sensible to me, 
it is a shame that all dogs and their owners don't have to sit this test!
It is done at a shopping centre, in 14 sections----
1. Controlled unload from a vehicle.
2. Approaching the building  [in our case shopping strip]
3. Controlled entry through a doorway.
4. Heeling through a building [large shop]
5. Six foot recall on lead.
6. Sits on command.
7. Downs on command.
8. Noise distraction.
9. Restaurant.
10. Off lead.
11. Controlled exit.
12. Dog taken by another person.
13. Controlled load into vehicle.
14. Team relationship.


When I first read the requirements I thought it was very hard, 
now nearly nine months later I don't think it is really that bad.

Every time Middi and I go out, we are practicing parts of it.

On Wednesday Chris and I started restaurant training,
this means Middi has to behave beautifully in an eating place.
He must lie quietly next to my chair [with his tail tucked in], and of course he must not scum food!!!!!
It was an interesting experience,
I am used to taking him to coffee shops and sitting outside, I like the fresh air and there is more room for my wheelchair to maneuver.
I was so nervous, Chris keeps saying it is me she is training,
if I am calm he will be calm and do as he is told.

Of course he was good, 
once Chris worked out how to fit both of us into the shop and reminded me to keep praising him and giving him treats, he went to sleep!

The most important thing I forgot, was to stop him shaking himself when he stood up to leave, no one wants dog hair in their coffee!
It was a good experience for all of us, 
now I feel more confident, so Middi and I might join the coffee set!

Until next time ------ hug a puppy!!!
Stop press:

Middi and I went to the park for lunch today,
here is a photo to prove that he does stay beautifully beside me!!
Melbourne on a sunny winter's day is heaven on earth.

1 comment:

Would you like to add your thoughts?